* Webcam and microphone are needed
A beginner course in the remote operation of various machinery
Entry Level - No Prerequisite
Online Course Information
A few days prior to the course you will receive an email invite to the video class meetings. Typically this is Webex. We'd also recommend using the webex client install rather than the just the webpage video. Other items such as the class website and materials pick will also be discussed after class start. No materials are required for the first class sessions. All you need to do is log into the video meeting.
This is a beginner course on radio control and specifically the operation of devices through RF signaling. This course was created for those looking to get into the UAV courses and similar but feel hesitant due to the deeper technological topics.
In this course we'll focus on the basic RF (radio frequency) understanding and the control of simple mechanisms. Our build for this class is and ground vehicle (RC car) but we'll also be adding video transmission capabilities as well and likely changing out some mechanical components. Just like the UAV course this will give us two different radio systems (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz) to work with and ultimately allow us to see where we're navigating in goggles as we drive. The control transmitter and video transmission units are the same make and model used in the UAV courses so we'll have good crossover training and the control receiver is only slightly different yet allowing us to do more traditional tasks such as servo control. All of this will be done without any advanced flight control system or higher end software so there won't have to be any concern about learning any of these items in order to operate.
Mailing List Signup
- RF Technology
- Power control
- Motor Drivers
- Signal properties and troubleshooting
- Antenna theory
- Remote video systems
- Video latency
- Small mechanical drive systems
- Gearing and gear ratio principles
- Soldering skills
- Wiring layout and signal concerns
- Dealing with sensitive electronics in harsh environments
- Conformal coating, device potting and other protection methods
- Electronic troubleshooting and repair
- Click here to get notified of upcoming classes!
Class Dates and Times:
Introduction to Radio Control
Class Number 15116
3/16/2021 - 4/22/2021
6:15 PM - 7:15 PM
The college has recently moved to a new system and the process is a bit different
Online Registration Login Page - CTCLInk
- Follow the link below - login in or create an account
- Go to "Student Homepage"
- Choose "Manage Classes"
- "Class Search and Enroll"
- Choose Edmonds College and the quater (Control + F to search page)
- Search for class name or number (Class Number will get you to where you want faster)
- All our classes fall under "Special Topics: Manufacturing". This means if you search for UAV for example you may still find all our classes listed
If you have troubles with the online registrationr:
- Call our registration office
- Give them the name and cnumber of the class you wish to register for
Contact Damian Cianci at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
The Business Training Center of Edmonds Community College has been "off-campus" in the heart of the community providing practical industry focused education since 1998